Thursday, March 21, 2013

Hidden in Christ

So I'm sitting here in an italian restaurant in my local area in Japan and I suddenly think about how great it would be to be completely lost in Jesus.  By lost I mean that I would find my identity in him completely rather than on the basis of the fleeting things of this world.  Of course there are things in this life that point to the person and character of God but at the same time they are but like fingers pointing to the real thing.  A finger is never a replacement for the thing to which it is pointing to.

Jesus is more than just a finger, he is God.

As I was sitting here I recalled the scripture that says:

Keep your eyes fixed on the author and perfector of your faith, Jesus Christ, who for the joy set before him, endured the cross, scorning it's shame to sit at the right hand of God.

When I couple this scripture with the one which I believe the Holy Spirit has been speaking to me recently:

In this world you will have trouble, but take heart, for I have overcome the world.

I can see something of the truth and reality of the bitterness of life in this world when actually walked according to way found in Jesus.  Yet this bitter reality is actually simply stated as is the cross which Jesus bore and the way in which he scorned it's shame.  Yes, the bitterness is not so much the sole focus, but rather a word of clarification, clarification with regards to the joy or life aspect which Jesus lived out and is wanting us to "take heart" in, or rather, be encouraged in.

So what is it about the way Jesus lived, or the way in which he overcame the world that is to bring us some kind of deep joy and life that would surpass anything that we face, particularly those things which would come against the sons and daughters of God?

That which comes to mind is this:

That source of joy and strength, and indeed life itself to which Jesus walked in IS the kingdom of God, or at the very least, the seeds of the kingdom of God.

To be honest I don't really know what I am talking about, but something tells me, and by something, I am actually really saying someone, that Jesus wants me to live out of the kingdom of God.

What do I mean, or rather, what could God, the Holy Spirit, be referring to here?

What is the connection between the kingdom of God and the kingdom(s) found here on earth?

What sort of connection is there?

Well if we look to the bible, and in particular look at Jesus himself, perhaps we will see what that connection is.

My very faith is needed because I am still here on this earth where there are other kings and gods.  Yet, there is only one eternal king and God.

If I am to live here on earth with a purpose and mission as Jesus lived, perhaps I need to invest my very life wisely.

Perhaps prayer and the word of God are more important to me losing my life in Jesus than I currently understand or am aware.

Perhaps prayer is not just a matter of me talking to God, but also, God talking to me.  Perhaps prayer is not just me sharing my heart, and in a sense for the all knowing God to know me experientially, but also a way for me to know him experientially.

Perhaps it is time for me, and indeed others, to begin to hunger and thirst for righteousness...ie the things of heaven to be here on earth.

Perhaps you have heard the saying that there are some people who are so spiritually minded, that they are no earthly good.

But I say, that it is impossible to be too heavenly minded that you are no earthly good.  By this I simply mean that Jesus whilst being here on earth with the purpose of the cross, had his eyes set on heaven.  Yes, he had his eyes set on the kingdom of God, and it was because of this that he was able to have joy set before him and endure the cross, scorning it's shame, to sit at the right hand of the Father.

When we have our eyes set on heaven, the kingdom of God, our eyes are set on the Father, yes they are set on Jesus, and yes, they are set on what the Holy Spirit is doing.  They are no longer set on ourselves and on what we can create or achieve, but rather are set on the things which are eternal, and fill us with the deepest of joy, giving us strength to do the will of God.

Holy Spirit is here with us to do one thing to help us to walk out the life that Jesus paid the price for with his very own.

Holy Spirit will help us to live out of the kingdom of God.

As I learn to submit to the Holy Spirit in both word and spirit/prayer, it is this life that perhaps resonates and lines itself with the worshippers that the Father seeks:

those who will worship Him in Spirit and in Truth.

Holy Spirit, thank you for your work in our lives.
I pray that we would grow in sensitivity to you, your presence, heart, and voice in our lives in a moment by moment basis.
May it be that we are filled to overflowing with the joy of the Lord, and that we are shaped by you and your word, so much so that we truly lose our lives for Jesus sake...lose our lives in Jesus.

For the kingdom of God is like treasure hidden in a field.
May we be that treasure, and may Jesus be that field.

Jesus please take me and those reading this deeper and deeper, and deeper into you.

May we be lost in you, so that your kingdom would come, and your will would be done here on earth as it is in heaven.


Yes, let there be salvation here today, and indeed tonight we pray, in Jesus name,


amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment