Friday, March 29, 2013

Baptism

Below is what I have prepared to share at a time of baptisms for some of my family in Christ here in Japan.

Baptism
What is baptism?
To be honest, I don't fully know nor understand what baptism is.
The only thing I know for sure, is that it is a wonderful thing.
It is like going from death to life, or breathing fresh and clean air for the very first time.
Baptism is like saying goodbye to loneliness, and hello to eternity with God.
It is like letting go of everything that is attached to self worth, and all of a sudden receiving God's worth.
It is saying to sin, pride and lies;
"No, you will not have your way with me...for there is only one who deserves me, and that is the one who, created me, was born for me, lived for me, died for me, and overcame death for me."
Baptism is all about the love and power of God.
It is about the nature of the perfect one who took upon himself our imperfection and rebellion, and said, "Let me take it from here."
The day after I was baptised I was sitting in an area that I last saw my dad about 8 or 9 years before. I was but a young child then, but now I was a young man. I was sitting down when I suddenly felt the desire to ask my dad in heaven for a favour. Having just been baptised and with faith of and as a child, I asked my heavenly dad if He could help me do three things.
I wanted to:
1. See my earthly dad
2. Hear my earthly dad
3. Touch my earthly dad
I'll fast forward two weeks and let you know what happened.
I got to see my dad, hear his voice and touch him.
Because that very day, my heavenly father led me to get in touch with my earthly father by way of His leading and love for me...it was a miracle.
I just want to share with you today, that salvation and baptism go hand in hand.
What I mean is this:
God has done the work of salvation for you, and in so doing this you go from death to life. Baptism is not about what you have done, or what you can do for God...it's about God's love for you based upon His very nature being love.
Yes, baptism is ALL about who God is. It's about what God has done for you, and that all that He requires of you is that you would simply trust in Him. Yes, trust Him...
will you trust Him today? Baptism was not necessarily meant to be a seperate act apart from salvation, as a kind of "graduation". No, it was meant to be a new beginning, your very opportunity to say no to sin, and yes to God's love.
Now let me clarify this; I am not saying that if you haven't been baptised you are not saved. No, I am simply stating that the intention was always that baptism would follow or be a part of the beginning of your new life with Christ.
Jesus did this, though he had no sin...will you do this, and look forward to blue skies?
Finally, baptism is acknowledging that there are blue skies, and sunny skies beyond the trouble and darkness found in this world due to sin...yes, baptism is saying yes to Jesus.

Jesus says this: "In this world you will have trouble, but take heart for I have overcome the world."   

No comments:

Post a Comment